Friday, January 7, 2011

Perception PSA



I have a very important PSA.  Something everyone should be aware of.  Immediately.


If you, like me, think that it's a perfectly acceptable thing to grab a handful of chocolate chips straight outta the bag, and shove them in your mouth - then come back to reenact this handful-to-mouth routine multiple times - then this might be the message for you.  I know, in my heart of hearts, that this is NOT a healthy thing to do... and that surely there are calories in those delicious morsels, but come on, it's just a handful.




Drama aside, we have a ginormous bag of chocolate chips, leftover from Christmas baking.  Tony and I are doing the stereotypical thing of trying to eat less this January, so we decided to eat the serving size of chips - 30 pieces. The serving size = 70 calories.  Ok, I thought, 30 sounds like a lot!  Tony counted them out, and this, THIS, is the result:






That's the tiniest bowl of chocolate chips that's ever existed.  I had no idea.  My multiple handfuls of yore had to have been 500 calories, hands down.  Five seconds to digest half of my daily calories.  If you had asked me how many I had just eaten, I would guess maybe 40, tops.  Appalling! 


Lesson to be learned:  my perception of portion size is seriously warped.  


I've gotta say though - I savored each and every one of those 30.  One by one.  


And promptly wanted 30 more.

5 comments:

  1. I have that problem with reduced fat cheese-its. I will eat half the box as a serving size. They're reduced fat!!!! Uggghh, somehow this gets me every time. I just can't buy those cheesy suckers anymore.

    Cute teeny bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nooooooo!! Sigh. I'm so guilty of the same thing. I try not to keep them at home, because like you, I'll eat 500 calories without batting an eye.

    Sigh. All told, I'm thankful for this PSA, as I'm certain it will save me some additional cellulite. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is actually kinda scary... am I'm sure one of many reasons that losing weight is at the very top of my LIST. :) Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes! While chocolate chips aren't my thing, I can't resist a handful of Skittles. I can only imagine that they are much worse!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh. I totally do this. When I read the first sentence, I was like, Claire is SPYING on me. Where's the hidden camera? And, I"m bad with portion size control, to. My perception is totally warped.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...