Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Kacy's Baby Shower - and Diaper Cake!

How cute is this girl???



This is my friend Kacy, who is pregnant with twins.  I was honored to help her aunt Libby host her shower, along with her brother's girlfriend Lucy (above).  Kacy is absolutely beautiful (anyway!), especially with her big belly.  The shower was tons of fun (of course) and the gifts had us oooohing and ahhhing.




Kacy's Mom, Kacy's Aunt, Lucy, Myself










I was excited to try my hand at the now-classic baby shower accessory - diaper cake!  I have to say, it turned out super-cute and was pretty easy!  I had fun making it and I think it looked really good, if I do say so myself!




I bought a box of diapers, tuckable accessories (toys, powder, shampoo, wash cloths, pacifiers, baby hair brush, and spoons), a spool of fabric ribbon and cheap curling ribbon, and a scalloped cake base. I grabbed a paper towel roll and the gorgeous glass cake plate I received for Christmas.



I followed various parts of directions from lots of tutorials that existed online - so I won't rehash that here - just Google it!  But some advice if you are making your own:
  
   - The paper towel roll really helps stabilize the whole thing - don't skip it!
   - Tie each of the concentric circles together with the curling ribbon, especially at the base - again, for stability!  Keep tying as you get wider.
   - Cut the height of the paper towel roll so it just barely comes above the final tier - and stick one diaper down inside the roll as the topper to hide it.
   - I hot glued the fabric ribbon at the ends, but otherwise it's just tight enough to stay up, so that she could actually use the diapers.
   - The tying up of the tiers around the paper towel roll made it so I didn't have to affix the tiers together - and again, this helps the diapers remain usable.







Ta-da!







Try it yourself!  It's easy!  

6 comments:

  1. I love it! I just finished up a shower for my brother's first baby & his mom! :) I did a diaper cake also! (well 7 small ones!) Don't they just make the cutest centerpieces?

    We also had clothes hanging "on the clothes-line!" I guess that's a recurring theme at baby showers, huh!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful shower! She looks beautiful with that giant belly. I really love the ribbon and accessories on the diaper cake! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute! What a great shower, too. The diaper cake - fabuLOUS. You did such a great job, and what a smart idea to include the type of diaper. So smart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was so amazing. I could never thank you enough for everything you did for this shower...it really made me feel so special. The diaper cake, the clothes line, the food, the games...everything was perfect. I don't deserve such an amazing friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How funny, I was literally headed to visit you (catching up on my reader... again =) when I saw your comment! You did such a great job on the shower, and seriously- she is lucky to have a friend like you in her life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Kim, putting the type of diaper on there is genius. I never would have thought to do that, imagine the stress and frustration unlabled diapers could cause at 2 am. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...